Kitchen Exhibitionist
The Culinary Quests of a Food Enthusiast Stuck in the Sticks

Parisian Inspiration: Fresh Beets with Feta


During a recent week-long visit to Paris I found myself inspired by the amazing array of delicious quality foods I saw in shops and markets as I roamed the city. I was driven by this inspiration to make dinner one night for the six of us who were staying in a large apartment that week.

This simple but absolutely delicious starter/salad came to mind when I discovered that the produce departments in the local grocery stores offered fresh cooked beets, already peeled and sold in shrink wrap sealed packages.

It was only a few years ago that I became enamored with beets. But along with that affection came some disdain because they’re such a messy chore to prepare. Somehow everything in my kitchen - the counters, the cutting board, the sponges, and my hands - always ends up tinted fuchsia. And Seuss’ Cat in the Hat never comes to rescue me. What a treat it was to just open a package and voila, fresh beets, all ready to use.

This is easy to prepare but elegant, with wonderful flavors and colors. The earthy beets, lightly dressed with olive oil and lemon juice, are complemented by creamy tangy feta cheese. The onion adds just the right touch of sweet sharpness.

Fresh Beets with Feta Cheese

4 medium beets, cooked and peeled
½ red onion, peeled, sliced and separated into rings
2 tablespoons olive oil (lemon flavored, if available)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
freshly ground pepper to taste
6 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese

Slice beets into slices about 1/3 inch thick and arrange on four individual serving plates, 3 – 5 slices per plate. Arrange 2 -3 onion rings over each serving.

Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice. Add pepper. Drizzle dressing over beets and allow to sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature.

Just before serving, distribute the crumbled feta cheese over each serving.


Tags: , ,
2 Comments:
Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...
One of my favorite ways to eat beets!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just received my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) delivery yesterday which included several beets, both red and golden orange. I used your idea and cooked them up this afternoon, then made this delicious and refreshing salad to have with dinner this evening. I did have some lemon olive oil which was a perfect complement to the earthy beet flavor. Even my husband, who is not a beet eater, had a few slices. Thank you for sharing.
uptowncook