Kitchen Exhibitionist
The Culinary Quests of a Food Enthusiast Stuck in the Sticks
Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The DaVinci Cole(slaw)


Yes, I know the name is hokey, but this recipe for raspberry coleslaw is delicious, I promise. And its moniker is quite appropriate, given this recipe’s inspiration and secret ingredient.

I am a huge fan of the DaVinci Gourmet Syrup product line. (Ha, I bet you thought I was going to say The DaVinci Code. Nope, never read the book nor saw the movie).

DaVinci’s syrups are a high quality ingredient that can be used in the kitchen in so many different ways beyond flavoring coffee and sodas. No other brand of flavored syrups is close, especially when it comes to some of the fruit flavors. I find these syrups so versatile that my cupboard usually contains 8 -10 different flavors at any one time.

Two years ago I was surfing the DaVinci website and saved a few interesting sounding recipes, one of them, for raspberry coleslaw. When I finally decided to make raspberry coleslaw, I consulted that recipe. It called for some ingredients that I didn't have on hand and some ingredients I didn't want in my coleslaw. I also thought the ratio of vinegar to mayonnaise was too high, so I ended up creating an entirely new recipe. About the only thing left of the original recipe is its inspiration!

I truly love this coleslaw, as do the people to whom I’ve served it over the past two years. Although it contains raspberry vinegar, the DaVinci raspberry syrup adds an additional layer of intense berry flavor as well as providing some sweetness. The sweet/tart contrast, the raspberry flavor, the delicate crunch of the cabbage, and the tiniest hint of sweet onion, not to mention its pretty pink color, make this salad shine. It is the perfect complement to barbecued spareribs.

Inexpensive sources of the DaVinci syrups are T.J. Maxx, Marshalls, and Home Goods, all three owned by the same company. The large 25.4 ounce bottle is only $5.99, several dollars cheaper than anywhere else.

Lydia’s Raspberry Coleslaw

1/2 head green cabbage
2 tablespoons grated onion
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar
2 tablespoons DaVinci Gourmet Raspberry syrup
salt and pepper to taste

Slice the cabbage very thin, using a mandoline or similar tool. In a medium bowl, toss together the cabbage and onion.

In a small bowl blend remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour dressing over cabbage and toss until well combined. Chill for several hours, stirring occasionally. Like any coleslaw, this shrinks considerably over time.

Yield: 4 - 6 servings

Check out the other recipes for the Monthy Mingle barbecue!

Tags: , , ,